What the workshop covers
In this half-day workshop, businesses and non-profits can learn how to start or improve a workplace recycling program and how to contract for waste hauling or recycling. The staff of the Solid Waste District walks participants through the steps to launch or expand a successful workplace waste reduction and recycling program. The workshop covers:
- Starting a recycling program or improving an existing program
- Recognizing different recyclable commodities
- Commercial composting
- Waste sorting (aka “dumpster diving”) and analysis
- Choosing proper indoor recycling containers and selecting appropriate signage
- Making the recycling program sustainable
- Educating employees, students and visitors on the program
- Choosing a waste hauling and recycling company
- Terms and conditions of waste and recycling service contracts
- Types of contracts, fees, and how to structure an agreement to best suit a business
Who should attend
Any business with an interest in effective management of waste and recycling can benefit from this workshop. Previous attendees — large employers, small businesses, startups — have included:
- Public venues
- Hotel chains
- Manufacturing facilities
- Universities and schools
- National parks
- Places of worship
- Local government
- Property management and real estate development firms
Curious about how the workshop might help your organization? Check out the feedback from previous participants (click here and scroll down to “What are attendees saying about the program?”).
Where and when the workshop is held
The workshop consists of two sessions:
- Session 1, Successful Recycling in Your Workplace: 9 a.m.–10:45 a.m.
- Session 2, Contracting for Waste and Recycling Services: 11 a.m.–noon.
Participants may attend either or both sessions.
The workshop is free, but registration is required. Online registration (click here and scroll down to “Upcoming Seminars”) is available through the Solid Waste District’s website, as is the Solid Waste District’s flyer for the seminar.
More information is available from Business Recycling Specialist Doreen Schreiber at (216) 443-3732 or firstname.lastname@example.org.