The Ohio Buckeye Chapter of the Solid Waste District Association of North America (SWANA) has named two local sustainability managers 2014 executives of the year.
Diane Bickett, Executive Director , Cuyahoga County Solid Waste Management District: 2014 Professional of the Year
A member of the Solid Waste District since its formation in 1995, Deputy Director of the Solid Waste District 1998–2009, and Executive Director since 2009, Diane Bickett numbers among her accomplishments:
- Her role in the formation of the Cuyahoga County Paper Marketing Cooperative.
- Her leadership in establishing the Cuyahoga County Solid Waste District’s Household Hazardous Waste Collection, now Ohio’s largest HHW collection.
- Opening of the District’s Special Waste Convenience Center, in 2011, providing Cuyahoga County communities a 5 days/week drop-off for HHW, and earning recognition for the District in 2012 as Solid Waste Operator of the Year.
Nancy Hughes, Cleveland Metroparks Sustainability Manager: Solid Waste Operator of the Year
As Sustainability Manager of the Cleveland Metroparks Zoo, Nancy Hughes is responsible for:
- Management of the zoo’s on-site composting program, which processes the facility’s annual production of 4,000 cubic yards of manure from elephants and other large herbivores and incorporates other vegetative material to produce sweet-smelling compost used throughout the zoo’s many gardens.
- Management of recycling programs used for zoo operations and supporting vendors, including computer equipment, aluminum cans, pallets, paper and cardboard, florescent bulbs, inkjet cartridges, cell phones, etc.
- Development and management of the zoo’s comprehensive education and awareness program for schools, businesses, organizations, and other zoos.
Through Nancy’s influence, the zoo’s Master Plan includes a sustainability goal, and, as a founding member of ZeroWaste NEO, she continues to promote the principles of Zero Waste throughout the community.