I’ve started this blog as a place where we can explore creative ways to keep from adding to our landfills.
I don’t mean just taking newspapers to the green-and-yellow bins at the local nonprofits, and separating recyclables from non-recyclables. I want to explore the whole spectrum of Reduce/Reuse/Recycle.
- I donated a bunch of worn-out knee-high stockings to a community garden. They make wonderful ties for staking tomato plants.
- I take rags (clean, washed if necessary) to the local humane society. They always need them.
- Empty, clean food-grade containers go there, too. (I use a lot of protein powder, which comes in large plastic tubs with screw-on lids.)
- Castoff computer parts go to a local high school with a service club that cannibalizes them to build computers for local non-profits and people who can’t afford a computer.
- When Crystal Light drink mix came in small plastic tubs, I saved them for a nearby daycare center. They love these little food-grade containers for doling out craft supplies and other small-portion materials for tiny hands.
Let’s let this blog be a place where we can exchange more thoughts about keeping waste out of the landfill.
What are your ideas on ways to Keep It Out of the Landfill?